Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Twelve Friends of Christmas Twelve

Now that I am over twenty-seven hours late for this I would like to explain to you all why my parents are one of the greatest gifts of the season.

They are still together.  Despite hurt feelings and troubles and worries and finances and stress and raising five boys they are still together.  Sometimes I do not know what helps them, but I am thankful for it.  Once it was a son in the hospital.  Another time grapefruits helped them.  Miracles drop out of air and help them.  And when miracles were in short supply then counseling helped.  They both had to learn to listen and change, but when they would they really made something wonderful.

My parents are strong people.  It is probably why I'm so attracted to assertive people who are willing to fight for something they believe in.  Even if they are wrong, what matters to me is a cause, a reason, and a love.  That is the strength of the real fighter.  My mother loves the symbol of the wolf because the alpha-female takes a controlling and dominating role.  It isn't about being the strongest or the best, but she always taught us to work together.  She showed us that is the strength of a clan.

I think my mother really defined my character.  I try to live up to her standards of what a man should be.  I try to treat women as the equal they are but to always treat them a little differently.  A little special.  And not because they're women.  But because they are individual people.  She taught me to treat all people as individuals worthy of praise, respect, and personal love.  She showed me how to be charitable.  And not just with money.  Your time and attention are just as valuable.  You not only have more but you appreciate it more when you share what you have.  My mother is the one who helped me understand how important it is to see smiling Jesus.  Because that is what we should see of ourselves.  The simple and pure smile that comes from helping others and from loving them, not despite differences but because of differences.


And a lot of my joys come from both parents.  My dad showed me the depth of nature.  Hiking and running and camping can be fun.  Not for kids.  But as an adult it is really nice to live and be outside with only necessities.  And maybe a book or two.  And friends help too.  Oh, and I do love frisbees.  But anyway, nature is great.  And it really can bring you closer to the creator and other creations.  Which is fantastic.  Helps you understand the eternal nature of the spirit.  I think that is a big thing dad taught me.  How to apply the gospel to every day things.  How to look for miracles and tender mercies.  How to be thankful for being dependent, because I can't solve everything, I can't even really fix myself, but when I'm ready the way will be available.



Mom taught me a lot about loving art.  The music I enjoy mostly comes from her.  It was amazing how you could tell her mood by the music in the house.  But music and acting and dance and paintings and even buildings and textures.  I feel like all of it stemmed from my mother's love for trying out new things.  I learned it's okay to not know what you're getting yourself into.  It's fun even.  Just go with the flow, make friends along the way, and be nice (be really nice) because strangers can really help out.

I really love my parents.  I'm thankful for their patience and kindness.  They really gave me a lot.  And didn't kill me.  Which was really helpful.  I'm thankful that they've been willing to change when they're wrong.  And that they take the time to get to know each of us well enough to know (pretty well) how to parent us.  They took the time to get to know my serious girlfriends and especially my best friends.  They trusted me with them.  They trusted me enough to make mistakes (or maybe they were just too frustrated with me trying every hole and open door I found).  It has improved over time.  But I really appreciate having some great parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment