Wednesday, December 21, 2011

The Twelve Friends of Christmas Seven

Late but not forgotten.  It's another lovely day of Christmas.  Except, it hasn't really snowed since I got home.  It's sad.  But you know what isn't sad?  My brothers!  You see, we fought like cats and dogs for years.  And then something happened.  I'm not sure what.  We graduated.  Moved out.  Got jobs.  And somewhere we started appreciating each other, calling each other, and playing more (but without the violence).  We all sing, dance, play instruments, play sports (poorly but excitedly), and enjoy much of the same things.  We read a lot.  We prank a lot.  We're like a pile of puppies, even now.  It's really nice.


Caleb is super creative.  He taught himself how to sew hats for a friend's birthday party.  He is compassionate and has learned a lot about helping others.  One of my favorite jobs was working with Caleb and Tracey for a couple weeks.  We went to Mile High Middle School and tore through their theater.  We took apart lights, fixed cables, readjusted curtains, fixed so many safety hazards, cleaned things up, and did a pretty bang up job I dare say.  It was neat to see how hard he can work and that he is really good at anything he wants to try at.  I love him, he's great.



Eric brings a smile to everyone's face.  He has so much energy.  It's infectious.  I really appreciate how happy he is and how much fun he has just because he can.  It's helped me get out of my funks.  It's helped us plan ridiculous things because we found out, under Eric's leadership, that ridiculous things do work as long as you've got friends helping.  I'm still sorry I wrecked the truck...  Eric inspired me to start a game of The Godfather.  He got me interested in doing theater and maybe being a techie.  He was a good example in high school and helped me know how to choose good friends.  I really appreciate how much he's done for me, especially the stuff he didn't need to be around for.


JJ with his curly hair and sly smile was always a force to be reckoned with.  Gentle.  Affirmative.  Gung-ho.  Empathetic.  Smart and educated (a deadly combo).  It seems like his main goal has always been to be better than himself, which tends to be better than most of us.  Mortality frustrates him not because it means life ends but because it means he can't accelerate every step along the way.  Eventually you'd reach the speed of light and disappear and that'd be more hassle than it'd be worth.  I've always felt a deep connection to him.  I think most people do.  I think it's because he listens.  So serenely.  He is at such peace with who he is that it doesn't matter what you share with him.  If it is good and full of light then he will absorb it.  Otherwise, his surety protects him from darkness, even as he lets it drain from others.  It's a special trait.  I respect and revere him for such lightness in a dark and heavy world.


Josh has one of the best families.  Seriously.  I look at those kids and see how much their parents love them and each other.  They make it work.  Because they work.  They work at being patient.  They work at communicating.  They work at being better.  That has always impressed me about Josh, he works so hard.  At everything.  He was a great musician, scholar, brother, lawyer, singer, inventor, and at life because he works so hard at it all.  He is willing to change as long as he has direction.  I am so thankful when he calls me.  It's random.  Neither of us usually have much time.  But it is so nice to talk.  Getting to know him better has been so much fun.  I am so thankful for his experience, love, and openness.


That's the family.  They're the ones I know I can always turn to.  I love them.  Always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment