Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Twelve Days of Christmas Nine

I happen to think that I had a great mission.  I love Sacramento.  I love California.  Seriously, they have the best fruit.  It's so beautiful.  I always enjoyed the weather.  Except, maybe, the cold rain.  I'm used to warm monsoon storms.  But, honestly, even the cold rain taught me something and helped me to appreciate life in a new way.

With all the people I love and the wonders of California, what really made my mission so wonderful was my companions.  I spent twenty-four hours a day with these guys.  Every day we'd go out and talk and teach and learn and it was great.  I did not always get along with them, but I love all of them and I learned a lot from each.

Elder Isaac Ostlund.  He was the most charitable missionary I met.  He really was just loving and kind and patient.  His attitude always lifted mine.  And he never gave me a reason to get down, even if I gave him many.  I spent the rest of my mission trying to emulate his kindness and joy.  He is a lot like JJ.

Elder Daniel Wyatt and I shared some of my favorite memories.  We served in Stockton together.  We were both young in our missions.  We made a lot of mistakes.  But it was awesome.  We wanted to learn and we were willing to try.  So yeah, we messed up sometimes, but we were teachable and came out on top because of it.  I'll never forget when Stockton flooded for two days.  We kept riding.

Elder Ryan Manwill, how I loved him.  He taught me a lot about the importance of loving what you do.  He loves mechanics.  He is so good at taking things apart and putting them back together.  One night his gear cable snapped.  By using a rock he was able to keep his bike in gear for the rest of the night.

Elder Mecklen Van Evera really brought a spark back into my mission.  We had so much fun in the hills of Camino.  It's okay to have fun and be happy even when doing serious work.  He made it okay to talk about music and cars and weapons and stuff, because it was what he loved and wanted to share.  He also loves the gospel and wanted to share that.  He showed me how to have balance.

Elder Sterling (precious metal) Duncan taught me so much.  Sometimes by being the best example and sometimes as a warning ;)  Our car got stuck so many times.  He stayed patient and helped me put on chains.  He puts out quite a strong personality, but he is so willing to follow direction obediently and help.  He showed me that it is okay to be scared and worried about something, because it means you get to see how creative the Lord is when He helps out.  He is really quite teachable and I was so thankful that he put up with me through a long winter.

Elder Thomas Stevenson is the Samoan wonder.  He kept me going through a hot summer.  His faith and endurance was amazing.  I loved hearing his stories from and loyalty to Samoa.  I don't know many missionaries who made the same sacrifices he had to make.  From rap concerts in the park to ukuleles in the apartment, we had some good times.

Elder Nelson Orton is such a fun guy.  I loved staying up late hearing about his stories (when I could stay up long enough...).  I have some of the funniest photos of him.  Teaching the homeless in downtown was always an adventure.  And it seemed like every single success we had was a time to celebrate.  He was so upbeat and excited for anything. He is so much like Caleb.

Elder John Cong Nguyen is a rockstar.  At least to me.  He is a missionary who is so open and ready to share his heart.  He is amazing at the guitar and I saw him use his talent to share the gospel.  And he connected so readily to everyone.  Oh yeah, and I loved hearing him sing.  Great voice.

Elder Pateriso Zepty!  Isn't he great?  I think so.  He is from the Kingdom of Marshall Isles.  He is so generous.  I never saw him not share something.  And he was so willing to work.  He barely spoke English but he never stopped trying.  He pushed himself harder than most missionaries I ever saw.

Elder Timothy Baumer and I wrestled.  As small as that might seem, it meant a lot.  We trusted each other.  He had individuality.  Boy could he ride a bike fast.  That was the only time I had trouble keeping up with someone on a bike.  Which was humbling and satisfying.  Crashing into him was a good day.  Not because I tore my pants or messed up our bikes a fair bit but because he didn't get angry.  I was almost angry at myself, but he just helped me get up and out of the road and then we took an inventory and kept going.  That takes a lot.

Elder Wyatt Jacobsen helped me to see how far I had come as a missionary (because he constantly built me up) and how far I still had to go (because he really complimented my weaknesses).  I was too comfortable in a lot of ways but he had a vision and desire.  I was more than welcome to join it, but only if I could keep up.  I couldn't have asked for more at the time.  He reminds me of Josh.

Elder Erik Brimhall.  The end of my mission was so grand because of this man.  Trips down to Stockton for medical tests.  The Crocker Art Museum.  Scaring him in the church.  Listening to the ukulele.  Working our tails off.  Sister B.  And never stopping work for fun or fun for work.  We just made sure we were doing both all the time.  I really never felt like more of a leader or more comfortable as a missionary.  He is a lot like Eric.  Endless energy and a real trooper.

These guys really did change my life.  I won't say I had the best mission but I humbly say my companions were hand-picked to help me.  I hope I returned the favor from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment