Saturday, December 24, 2011

The Twelve Friends of Christmas Ten

I was kinda scared of coming to BYU.  I didn't know why I needed to go here.  I'm still figuring it out.  But it all works out.  And there is a lot in Provo that keeps me happy and impressed.

You know how sometimes you meet someone and then later find out you know them in a whole bunch of ways you didn't realize.  That's Tamarra.  She served on Temple Square with Jessica Wingate.  Her roommate, Rachel, went to Prescott with the Moores a while back.  She went to Jerusalem with JJ.  She is an editor for the newspaper for which Jeremy started writing.  And she started Sunday's Best.

When I go to her home I find myself at peace.  I can be open about anything.  Tamarra created a haven against judgment, stagnation, and evil.  That is what impresses me so much.  Tamarra is liberal in her love and views, but she makes no attempt to jump off the deep end.  She has no desire to offend people into doing something.  She just loves them.  She accepts them until they accept themselves enough to change.  And if that won't work she helps them come closer to Christ so that they'll have an even better example.  Tamarra is a heroine of change.  I really appreciate how I feel when I talk to her or when I'm at her home.

Some of the things I've learned because of Tamarra are as follow.  This church might be the only religion for feminists (feel free to discuss that because I wouldn't have believed it a month ago).  When we start worshiping a religion instead of God we lose sight of the goal.  The only changes that last are based on love.   It is okay to be angry at God, men, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as long as you keep moving somewhere.  Movement provides opportunities.  Sometimes we can help a group more by not being a part of it, but most of the time we've got to be close to the herd and in front if we want to steer it in a new and better direction.  It is hard to see a better path within the herd but it is possible.  It takes all kinds of leaders to keep a people together.  Some will be at the top and in the front.  Some have to be students in the classes or workers in the field earning trust and answering questions.  It's okay to be wrong about important things, as long as you can admit it to yourself and help the truth.  This Gospel is true, regardless of gender, race, religion, sexuality, politics, economic situation, fame, fortune, fear, faith, mental disorder, or self-identity.  My goal is to make it accessible and acceptable to all those people.


I am thankful for all the opportunities Tamarra has given me.  They really have changed who I am.  They have given me an outlet for my worries.  She has created a place where I can be myself, with all my quirks and quotes.  Life is good, Zion grows, and God loves us.

No comments:

Post a Comment