Monday, June 15, 2009

Dreams

I dreamed last night. This is a rather unusual occurrence, as some of you may know, but not unheard of at any given time. On one hand, my dreams are strange and difficult to define, but, on the other, they are rather exciting. Ultimately, I don't like dreaming. Oddly, last night was . . . intensely pleasant.

First, some background physics. There is something called the event horizon; it is the point past which light cannot escape a black hole. Now, for years, I had believed that light would just get stuck once it reached this point, in a perfect situation. It would constantly be trying to escape the pull of the black hole and the black hole would constantly try to suck it in. Last night I realized the folly of this thinking because the gravity of a black hole is constant (ha, I made a pun) but the velocity of a photon of light (which for no conceivable reason acts like it has mass) is not accelerating, so gravity, no matter how small, will overcome the speed of light after a given amount of time. WHICH IS AWESOME! So pretty much what would usually happens is something like a yo-yo, the light speeds past the black hole, through the event horizon, and is suddenly pulled back to never be seen. This is what I was thinking about as I drifted into slumber. Well, that and a couple specific different girls and some teachers and . . . stuff really.

Anyway, the dream (and I was promising myself this would be short). I'm in some sort of alley, there are brick buildings, lots of cement walls and such. A nuclear explosion goes off nearby. In the process of being disintegrated (I die a lot in dreams) my old concept of the event horizon comes up and just a couple of atoms manage to keep themselves from moving in any one direction, so I, rather my spirit, attached itself to those little specks and materialized itself (sorry if there is any confusion. I've never dreamed or remembered anything in first person, always third-person omniscient). In hindsight, upon waking up, I decided that it was kind of like a ghost; my identity had attached itself to a the physical plane and refused to leave, but I am also able to interact with the physical world, I find shortly. I'm dead and I realize this, so I wander.

In my wanderings I come upon an alley with more brick walls and there is a car and I see this girl. I recognize her from this life as someone who I really care about. There are other people there, but none of them of any consequence. I see that she is in a similar predicament to me. She exists, but is only the veneer of a body. I, almost instinctively (which is strange, because I haven't ever in real life), went up to her, grabbed her behind the nape of her neck, and, with my other hand, connected myself to her waist. I began to kiss her. I realize this is a dream, but I have never kissed anyone so deeply and richly as I kissed this girl right then. Her taste and touch were terrific and tempting. The embrace was returned just as readily and amorously. As we continued to embrace, it seemed that each moment caused us to connect even more deeply. As we kissed, she wrapped her hands around my neck and lifted her legs around my hips. We drifted from the hood of the car to the side of it to the wall and down the alley. The dream continued for quite some time, with variously levels of confusion and disturbance on my part, but the part with the girl stopped. It was sad.

As I said, I realize this was a dream. I can hope that this would happen. And to some degree it might someday. I doubt I'll ever experience a nuclear explosion while in a brick-laden alleyway lit only by the dream of industrialization and destroyed by the vision of expansionism, but who knows? I can say that I haven't had the benefit of such unsatiating pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dreams intrigue me.
    I love you.
    Oh, and the hood of a car? A good place to be. ;)

    ReplyDelete